Whether you own a Spanish revival in University City or a historic Italian villa in the Central West End, your home’s slate or tile roof requires specialized care. Each highly skilled craftsman on our team has an average of 15 years of experience in repairing and restoring slate and tile roofs, and will work diligently to ensure your roof stays structurally sound while preserving its original beauty.
St. Louis is home to many breathtaking century-old churches, and their peaks and pitches wouldn’t be the same without clay tile and slate shingles. We enjoy helping to preserve our city’s history by renovating places of worship as well as museums, universities, and tourist attractions throughout the area.
Slate is a natural, ultra durable roofing material formed from compressed clay shale, then extracted from the earth. Although slate shingles themselves can last for centuries, there can be problems with slate roofs that require repair.
- Weak flashing areas can affect valleys, roof junctions, and areas around vent pipes and chimneys
- Rusted iron nails can cause shingles to slide out of position
- Shingles can chip or crack from tree branches, hail, or someone walking on the roof
- Poor workmanship in the original installation can lead to structural issues
Because of the weight and delicacy of slate roofs, they should only be applied, maintained, and repaired by craftsman that have extensive knowledge of the materials and structural support methods needed. Our team will thoroughly inspect your roof and offer detailed recommendations for repairs or replacement.
Throughout the world, clay tile roofs have stood the test of time, with their origin being traced back to China around 10,000 B.C. Their durability has been appreciated by nearly every culture since, as they often outlasted original structures and could be used to cover new buildings. But while clay tile roofs are extremely hardy, they can break down due to weather problems or issues with the support system.
- Improperly maintained gutters and downspouts can lead to water damage
- Iron nails can corrode and cause tiles to loosen
- Metal flashing may need to be replaced
When you own a home with a tile roof, it’s essential to hire an expert with extensive knowledge of tile roofing. Whether you notice water damage on your ceiling or you find a cracked tile, we will inspect your property and provide repairs needed to maintain the historic charm of your existing roof.
Real Estate Inspections
If you’re considering buying a home with a slate or tile roof, it’s important to have it inspected by a knowledgeable specialist. Although slate and tile are very durable and often look flawless to a buyer, a trained eye at Vince Graye Roofing may determine that it will require extensive and costly work in the near or distant future. Long story short: It’s best to know before you buy!
We’ve been providing Real Estate Roof Inspections for St. Louis homes since 1986. In our inspection service we will provide:
- A detailed assessment of the roof’s current condition
- A visual examination of past maintenance and repairs
- A description of any damage (such as hail or replacement tiles) and cost for repairs
- An estimate of any repairs needed to the roof
- A detailed report with photos
- Average cost of residential inspection is between $250-$350
To schedule a Real Estate Roof Inspection, call (314) 487-1819.